Bamboo & Bamboo Handicrafts/ other Products
• Endowed with rich and
diverse resource, and traditional usage - 21 Species
(Tripura) out of 130 species in India
• Established commercial utilization of bamboo for crafts,
mats, incense sticks. Industrial Products based on Bamboo
can be developed.
• Existent bamboo working skills to help build
• River and road transportation network
• Established models of community and entrepreneurial
• Cane & Bamboo Handicrafts of Tripura among the best in the
• Export already on; Scope to organize/ modernize.
• Tripura Bamboo Mission is functioning through PPP
Tripura Cane and Bamboo handicrafts are considered to be
among the best in the country for the exquisite designs,
wide range of products and artistic appeal. This industry
has a great export potential as well. Steps have been taken
to organize/ develop this industry on modern lines. Not only
that, in view of availability of large bamboo resources in
the State, industrial products like bamboo tiles, laminated
products, ply, boards, corrugated sheets etc can be
produced, which can be used as building materials, for
furniture manufacture etc. Studies have shown that Bamboo is
a very effective substitute for timber and is, in fact,
better in many respects.
The State Government has launched the Tripura Bamboo
Mission. The Mission is being operationalised through
Private Public Partnership framework and a Bamboo Park is
being set in Bodhjungnagar.